Tuesday, January 23, 2007

That Evening Sun

That Evening Sun - by William Faulkner

Wiliam Faulkner was from New Albany, Mississippi. He was born in 1897. He won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1949 and in 1925 he met Sherwood Anderson in New Orleans to discuss publishing some literary works. He published many literary works such as poems and both fiction and non fiction/

"I scared of the dark," Nancy said. "I scared for it to happen in the dark." "When yawl go home, I gone." Nancy said. She talked quieter now and her face looked quiet, like her hands. "Anyway, I got my coffin money saved up with Mr. Lovelady."

This passage means that Nancy was afraid of Jesus and that he would kill her when she went home at night. The setting of the sun represented the end of the day and in this story represents Nancy being afraid of the dark and of being afraid of dying.


"And then about half of the time we'd have to go down the lane to Nancy's cabin, and tell her to come on and cook breakfast. We would stop at the ditch, "because father warnwed us not to have anything to do with Mr.Jesus, because he was a short black man with a razor scar on his face and father disliked him. And we would go down and throw rocks at Nancy's cabin untill she came out."

In this passage it is obvious to see that Dilsey's father is very strict about them not hanging around Mr. jesus or Mrs. Nancy's house. But the children disobey their father. This applies to my life because I too once was told not to associate with someone but disobeyed my parents instructions. The Bible teaches us that we should not be afraid of our enemies but that we should pray for them, and that the first sinner should cast the first stone.

No I do not think that people would accept Dilsey's or her friends behavior towards Mr. Jesus and Mrs. Nancy. I wish that they had learned to be cautious of Mr. Jesus instead of throwing rocks at his doorstep.

Yes a life lesson about how to be cautious and stay away from unfriendly or mean people is an important lesson which can be usefull for a person and his or her career.

The cause of human suffering was when Nancy was thrown in jail and beaten by the guard while she was pregnant. This act showed the cruelty of whites towards blacks during an era when slavery was present. It showed a sense of moral prejudice and anger which would set the stage for Nancy's fear of Mr. Jesus.

This tragedy can not be considered a comedy because the act that Nancy endured was severe and inhumane treatment for a pregnant woman to face and there was nothing funny about it or her sense of fright of Mr. Jesus.

The cause of joy and hapiness in this story was the family's time spent gossiping around the breakfast table each morning. And the funny but rude jokes made by Nancy and Dilsey. such as when Nancy said ":I ain't studyin my breakfast," I got to get my sleep out," I bet you're drunk," Dilsey said.

2 comments:

Brook said...

By just basing my comment on the material we covered in class on Monday by William Faulkner, I think the story seems to be on the racist side. A few things that I gathered from the beginning was that it might have been written around the 1950s, it shows a change from modern to rural, and mississippi seems like a foreign country at the time. The passage that I have a few comments about would be "full of Negro women, balanced on their steady, turbaned heads, bundles of clothes tied up in sheets,...". This passage backs up the point stated earlier that it shows mississippi to resemble a foreign country. When I think of turbans or sheets on women's heads, I think of a foreign country or someone of a different religion because its not extremely common.

Pheurbel said...

That Evening Sun by William Faulkner is about a time that should be left in the past. Its about things seen, heard, or imangined by the author. A time when peoples' names said who they were: such as Jesus who is the "trickster" with a scar on is face. It is a demeaning passage and not the kind of reading I would continue in.